Sunday, May 5, 2013

Change...

There's been quite a bit of change in my life as of late, yo. For example:
  • No more nanny job
  • New apartment and roomies
  • New ward
  • And that's about it
So... Nikki, my friend from BYU, asked me about a month ago if I needed a place to live. I wasn't necessarily looking to move, but then she proceeded to tell me about the washer/dryer that is IN her new apartment and that it is located one block away from Central Park on the Upper West Side... and I just couldn't resist. So I have spent the last week of my life moving my stuff and getting settled into a new home! No mo' Hawlum for me! Harlem treated me well and I'm so grateful for the experiences I had there, but it's so nice to be closer to everything now. My room is TINY.  Seriously, Harry Potter had it good compared to me, but I felt so right about making this move. I have 3 roomies and they are all wonderful girls!

Initially, I was 'posed to stay in the same ward with this move, but they re-aligned the ward boundaries last week and now I'm in a completely new ward! But guess what... my Uncle Paul is my bishop now, so that's fun! I went for the first time today to the Lincoln Square Ward and met a lot of great people.

And the nanny job is no more. I put in my two weeks about three weeks ago because I realized that I wasn't auditioning as much as I wanted to be. I got too wrapped up in the nanny life and decided I needed to do somethin about it. I'm gonna miss spending time with that cute little sass-a-frass, but I know it was the right thing to do. So... here's to being a poor, starving artist! Woooooeeeeee.

Change is good. It's how we grow and progress in life. I'm grateful for that. I've been getting quite accustomed to change over the last few years and have learned to just deal with whatever life throws my way. It's not so bad, really. I've learned many valuable lessons that I wouldn't have learned any other way. And the one comforting thing about it all is that I know for a fact that my Heavenly Father has been aware of me every minute of every day. He has given me many blessings and tender mercies over the years as I have continued to fumble my way through the dark. Pretty amazing.

So... today marks the anniversary of a life event for me. It wasn't an event of celebration... just an event of change. And as difficult and traumatizing as that change was, I know that I am becoming a stronger and better person because of it. I know that we can get through ANYTHING in this cold and scary world because of our loving Heavenly Father and His son, Jesus Christ. There is so much hope and happiness out there! :) Do me a favor and never ever forget that. And don't let me forget it either!

I'm full of gratitude today for everything I have in my life right now. People, places, things... all of the above. Life is good, yo, life is good.

P.S. Happy Cinco de Mayo! I'm about to head to Aunt Jan's house and help her whip up some homemade Cafe Rio! Brendan has heard so much about it... can't wait for him to experience the goodness! :)

And just for fun... perhaps to lighten the mood a little bit... here's an old gem that I came across on my computer the other day... 

Eight years ago, THIS happened. Freshman year, FHE ice skating activity, best night of my life. And by best... I mean worst. I sported this pretty little shiner around campus for a good month or so. :) Sure wasn't funny at the time, but now I get a kick out of it. 

And with that, I say adieu!

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Pretty sure I took that picture. Or it was taken in my room. Or something like that. Maybe I'm making that up. Love you, Deb! You are amazing and I can't wait to hear about all your new auditions!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That pic brings back memories!! You are beautiful inside and out! Glad that you have such a great perspective on life. Change is good!!

    ReplyDelete