Friday, October 5, 2012

Livin' in a gangster's paradise.

I know this might come as a shock to some of you, but guess what... Harlem is not Provo, Utah. Can you believe it?! They are actually very different from each other. Who knew?! I thought I'd share a few pics of some of the things that I get to see during the week here in the new 'hood... 







This little gem was taken during my walk home from church. Just a little random parade goin' down the streets of Harlem. No big thang. No idea why it was happening or who was all there, but hey, white tutus were involved so I couldn't resist.





This is the Central Park Temple. 
...
...
...
Just joshin'. but doesn't it look like it could be?!? I saw this one morning during a runny run through central park. Gorgeous.



This is another shot from central park. Very random, but I had one of those moments where I said, "OhEmGee. I am running through central park in NYC because I LIVE here." Had to document it.

Running through the park has been one of my favorite things I get to do here. I'm trying to enjoy it as much as I can before I hate my life when winter is here. What do you think the odds are of there not being a winter in New York this year? Anyone? ... anyone?







 This is where I get to go to church every Sunday! Pretty, eh? And it's only a 10 minute walk from my apartment. It's about 12 blocks south from my front steps. My ward has been really great so far. Lots of fun peeps from all walks of life and it seems that there is always a party goin' on. Totes my style. Love it.






Just a monumental landmark that I really didn't know much about before I moved here. But it's a real thing. The Apollo Theater is where many-a-celebrity have performed over the years. Don't believe me? Googs it.














Other things that are close by: a couple other small parks, lots of diners with all the chicken & waffles you could ever want, stores that remind me of home (Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, oh - and don't worry... H&M!), and lots of interesting people. Lots of them. I'm getting used to being the minority here. It's really not bad at all. I actually really love it. I mean, it's basically an automatic self-esteem boost every time I walk out the door! For example, the other day I was told I look like Jessica Simpson AND Britney Spears in one day! Wooooeeee. I'm hoping they were talking about the young-oops-I-did-it-again Britney, but nonetheless, my new neighbs are nice and friendly. :)

Peace and blessings, yo. Peace.and.blessings.

P.S. Camille, I will NOT expound on speed dating. I'm sorry. I thought about it, but all you really need to know is that it will never happen again. ever. 

10 comments:

  1. I want to come visit!! I had a dream about visiting Harlem the other night, did I tell you that? Well, I did. And I remember being scared. But having lots of fun. :) Glad to see you are doing well and can run in Central Park! Like the movies!! Jealous!! Love you, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving every post, little sis! I wonder what Halloween is like in NYC? My kids are planning their costumes...what are YOU going to be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovin the abbreves, sis. I heard a greeting the other day and I thought it might be a good addition to Harlem. It goes a little somethin like this...
    Bobby: "Good morning Miss Deb"
    Deb: "What it DO baby BOO?!"
    What you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh I can't believe I didn't see my shout-out until right now. I'm famous. I'm sorry speed dating was no good. But go Deb woot woot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember my first "I can't believe I'm in NYC" moment. It happened in Times Square. I have to say, it was one of the most awesome moments, of my life!! It's about time you got that too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why did I not know about this blog sooner? Denise sent me the link yesterday. I'm LOVING it. and missing you. lots.

    ReplyDelete