Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Concrete jungle where dreams are made of...


Whew. Just got back from an auditiondo. But not just any audition... a callback!!! Yessssss.... :) Auditioning in NYC is quite the beast, I tell you. Lots of waiting, lots of competition and lots of needed luck. So far I have been going to about 3 or 4 auditions per week and each audition takes a lot of preparation in regard to figuring out what time I need to be there to sign up, what style of music I need to sing, which studio to go to... etc. It can be quite draining! And because I am non-equity (Not a member of the actor's union), I end up having to wait around for hours just to get seen for about 20 - 30 seconds. It's nuts. Why am I doing this?! Oh yeah... cuz it's amazing and I love it. I really do.

It was so fun to go in for a callback today. I've had a couple other experiences where they ask me to sing another song or ask me a few questions about my availability, but for the most part I've just been singin' my heart out and then they say, "thank you" and I leave. So hard to know what they're thinking, but it's just the name of the game! 

 This is to give you an idea of what it looks like to wait in line at an audition. This was at about 8:30 am and I am standing in line to put my name on the non-equity list so I can hopefully get in for a later audition. It's hard to tell, but the line wraps all the way around the room and then snakes down a huge hallway. Anyway - on this particular day, I signed up that morning then went home to finish getting ready. Then I went back to the studio only to wait for about 3 1/2 hours. But guess what! I got in! And that's what it's all about. That and the hokie pokie.

Anyway - I've found that it is very important that I don't just immerse myself in musical theater and auditions 24/7. Because now it is basically my day job and I just need a break from it when the day is done. So here are some things that I have been able to use as an outlet...

P.S. I received some feedback that my pictures on here are too small *cough, cough* Amanda... :) so hopefully these are BIG enough for ya'll...










I found myself in Battery Park one afternoon and it was such a nice break. I decided to check out a little bit of Wall Street and Bam! There I was. Right on the edge of the water. It was beautiful. 

Look at how skilled I am at taking my own photo... can't even tell, can ya. I loved this monument behind me. It is a sculpture that was damaged in the 9/11 attack and it is now on display in Battery Park for all to see. Very, very cool.

























Lookeee here. Even more skilled self-photo-taking! One-handed, even. Totes talented.

Here we have another statue. Can't remember the name of it, though. Oh well... 

But it was awesome! ;)

























Shopping!!! But it's a different kind of shopping now. It's the I-don't-really-have-an-income-and-I'm-paying-a-million-dollars-in-rent shopping. My good friend Abby and I took a break one afternoon and checked out some of the nearby stores in Harlem. Found these beauts and almost died. 

Are they fo' reeeeeeeeal?!?!? You could poke someone's eye out with them thangs!




















And what's a girl to do without a little chocolate in her life? Did you know it was national chocolate milk day a couple weeks ago? You better believe I celebrated.  We tend to have girl parties fairly often...  usually between the hours of 12 and 1 am where-in-which we bust out the goods and indulge just a little. 

My mom used to talk about how I never really liked sweets or sugar growing up. I would usually turn down dessert after dinner and my halloween candy stayed in a box for years. Well, ladies and gentlemen, those days are loooooong gone.











And this is just for fun. My parting gift, if you will. The 'ole one-eye crossed lazy eye trick. You're welcome.

I have loved being able to do my hair curly out here! The humidity is quite convenient. No curling irons needed. Just scrunch, diffuse and goooooo!

Speaking of go-ing... I gotta! I'm off to work at Peter and the Star Catcher tonight. But before I go, I just want to reiterate the fact that I love that I am here and auditioning right now. Even though it's super duper hard, I am so glad I am doing what I love. There really is somethin' magical about the city. It really is where dreams are made of. All I have to do to feel like a million bucks is walk down the street in the theater district with my audition dress, shoes and music in my bag and I feel SO alive!  So sing it with me, everyone! "In New YooOoooork... concrete jungle where dreams are made of..."

I love you all!  'Till next time...

Peace and blessings. Peace.and.Blessings.

4 comments:

  1. You forgot one important detail about your callback...what show is it for?? My kids ask every day if you are going to be Mary Poppins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter and the Star Catcher?? Do you get to watch it while you're there? I was telling my students about the book the other day (because I loved the whole series) and one kid said his parents went to NYC and saw the play. I thought he was confused. Good to know it's really a show! :) Love you Deb and am so glad you are loving it out there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhh your blog is the besssst!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! It IS a show, Janae! And it is incredible. Seriously, so good. You and Dane need to get your patooties out here to see it!

    ReplyDelete