Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Home Sweet Home



Wooooeeee! Here I am! Finally. I've been meaning to start this blog for about 3 weeks now. There is SO much to talk about and time is a-tickin! So let's see... how 'bout I just start with my one-way flight cross country (whaaaaat?!) Who does that. But fur rills. I guess I do! 






Here we have a nice illustration of what I did during my layover in the Denver airport. Nothin' like  a little bit of comfort food in the middle of a life-changing event. I must admit, I really was needing a bit of comforting on this day of travel. I tend to be a pretty strong and calm individual in most situations, but I was definitely having a hard time on this day... definitely had a mini breakdown at my brother's house that morning. But guess what... I survived.






I even survived the taxi ride from the airport to my new apartment with all this luggage! Some may call me high maintenance, but listen. 2 bags fly for free on Southwest. What up. I was actually pretty proud of myself. Only had to ship 1 box in addition to these beauties. Now the hard part was getting all of this from my curb in Harlem to the 7th floor of my new apartment building by myself. Hallelu for elevators.

I got into my apartment late that night and immediately started unpacking. I was anxious to get settled and comfortable in my brand new space. Pretty sure I went to bed around 3 or 4 or somethin of that nature.





And here we have a picture of the view from one of my beddy room winders. It aint much, but I love it. I love that I get an itty bitty view of skyline and I love that you can see some of my fellow Harlemites down below. Probably playin' a round of Old Maid or Crazy 8's or somethin. ;) I do have another window in my room, but it looks straight into the building next door, but no worries. The building is empty right now. At least it was last time I checked... and if it's not anymore, then somebody's been gettin' a little peep show for the last 3 weeks. Remind me to check on that later. :)








These are a few little pics of my roomy room. I absolutely love it. I am so lucky to have found such a great place to live. It feels like my own little sanctuary, which is exactly what I was hoping for.






Just ignore the empty space and sporadic placement of pictures above. Technical difficulty. Anyway - here we have my closet... closed AND open. Aren't you lucky. As you can see, I was able to fit everything in beautifully and now the challenge is to not buy more stuff... yep.




And here are the lovely ladies that I get to live with. Kristy is on the right and she is the one who let me move in to our humble abode! I owe her big time. Not quite sure how we hadn't met in life before. We had about 50 mutual friends on the 'ole FB before we had even met. Crazy. She is currently in school and working part-time. And Kate, on the left, is currently doing Teach for America in the Bronx. Bless her. I don't know how she gets up and goes to battle everyday. After living with Janae and Ash (Old roomies/besties) for a few years, I have a newfound appreciation for school teachers. Anyway - we have had a lot of fun so far and I'm excited for good times ahead!


I am also lucky enough to have my Uncle Paul and Aunt Jan living just a 15 minute train ride away from me. Jan gave me the royal treatment and took me to Costco and Target in her CAR on my first morning in the city. And then the next day, I got a personalized tour of Trader Joe's. Beautiful. Just beautiful. I'm going to dinner at Jan and Paul's house tomorrow and I can't wait to spend more time with them in the future. They are definitely keepers.

Okeedok. That's it for now. But who knows... there might be another post here sometime soon. Like in the next hour or so. :) Don't judge. I'm done with auditions for the day and I'm just waiting for work to start...

Oh - but before I go, I'd like to leave you with a list of some of the current happs around here. I have been here for 3 weeks, but it really feels like 3 years because so much has happened. Why don't you take a moment and read down the list and if something strikes your fancy, feel free to leave a comment letting me know that you'd like me to expound more on that particular item/event. Here goes:

  1. YSA Conference during my first weekend. Activities included speed dating (heaven help us all) and a few workshops, activities and of course, a dance.
  2. My birthday! Fun day with a little bit of homesickness in the morning, but was quickly alleviated by a fun lunch and birthday party that night.
  3. I have a job selling broadway merchandise with some really fun peeps. Some of them are old friends from Utah and some are becoming new fast friends.
  4.  Signed on with a temp agency last week so I can put some of my office skills to use. Shout out to all my Imagine Learning peeps! 
  5. First experience clubbing (which = dancing for me) with some of my new ward friends last week. Ever been to a hipster club? 
  6. Did you know I have a doorman? His name is Bobby and he has no teeth. He sits on our stoop all day and is always very considerate of me and my needs. Always reminds me to grab an umbrella if it's raining outside. 
  7. Been to several auditions. I've felt very confident so far, but I've also had many reality checks. This is a huge city and competition is stiff. Like reeeeeeally stiff. But ya know, just keep movin' forward! I actually have a little gig next weekend. I get to sing 2 songs in a little broadway review show here in the city. Should be a good experience.
  8. First time doing laundry at the laundromat down the street. Met a cute mama and her little girl named Acirema... which is America spelled backwards, of course. :)
  9. Went with some friends to a food market in Brooklyn. Delish! Definitely enjoyed doughnuts, ice cream, falafels and many more treatsies. But it's okay, cuz I walk everywhere now... ... ... right??
  10. I have been overwhelmed with gratitude. Can't believe I'm here and livin' the dream. Like really livin' the dream. It's amazing and I'm so glad I got on that one-way flight 3 weeks ago.
That's all for now, folks. Peace and Blessings... peace. and. blessings.




4 comments:

  1. Oh Deb. Beddy room winders. I miss youuuu but I'm so happy you're happy! I want to hear about speed dating. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, Deb!! I'm so proud of you taking that leap. I miss you tons but love hearing your new adventures. Keep blogging!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your blog!!! Keep 'em coming, Deb! You are sorely missed and I'm so proud of this huge step! Good luck with all the auditioning, and keep us posted!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love your blog. My life is now complete. :):):)

    ReplyDelete