Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I survived a hurricane!

So... some of you may have heard that there was a hurricane up in hurrr. Hurricane Sandy, to be exact.   Totes cray cray. My roomies and I were extremely lucky and only lost water for several hours, then had only cold water for a day and then no heat for a week. But we had power the whole time, which was such a blessing! I was stranded in times square one evening after work and had to start the trek home on foot and luckily found an available taxi after I was about halfway there, which was about 50 blocks. That's what happens when the subways and buses are shut down! But again, I have no reason to complain at all... So many people have had it SO much worse. 

Because we were stuck inside for a few days in a row with nowhere to go, we experienced a little bit of cabin fever. Here is a little video that illustrates this... :) Have you ever made someone put their arms AND legs inside the arms of a sweatshirt? Well, meet Carolyn. This is what she did to provide us with entertainment for the evening. Oh - and many thanks to Ryan for accompanying her on the piano...


Jeff attempted the same thing with Brendan's assistance, but it just wasn't the same with a short sleeve shirt... Good effort though, Jeff, good effort.

 










We also played the get-the-cookie-from-your-forehead-to-your-mouth-without-using-your-hands-game. Good times were had by all. Here's Ryan and Carolyn, neck and neck.




































And here's Brendan using the lip technique and Jeff on the right using the "Part of Your World" technique...



















But really, I was the champeen. I even overcame my little eyelash trouble halfway though. ;) But Abby was tough competition... she gave it her all. Here's a video for some proof...




Have you ever played Quelf? We played it all together one night and this is Carolyn and I with our paper cobra snakes that we had to make in just 30 seconds or so. Everyone liked Carolyn's better... whaaaaaaat?!? I thought mine was killer. Not literally.

  








Look at these beauties. Best part of the hurricane stay-cation? Not having to get ready for the day. Carolyn, Kristy and I had a good time just staying warm, rationing our water and watching Zac Efron movies. What a dreamboat. 
Carolyn, Jeff, Nicole, Ryan, Kristy and Abby playing Quelf. Just one big happy family.














Evidence that we'd been cooped up for awhile. We made enchiladas, cookies and there is a roast cookin' in that there crockpot. We didn't go hungry, that's for sure.
































I went for a run as soon as the storm had stopped and this is what the street looked like. There wasn't too much damage in Harlem... only a few trees that had been split and lots of debris lying around.













Here is one of the casualties... right across the street from my church building!
Another view of the post-storm skies. There was just a quiet, solemn feeling in the air.

I can't believe all the damage that was done in other parts of New York and New Jersey. It has been cool to see how my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, has pitched in and offered its help wherever necessary. I have been out of town for the last 2 Sundays, but I know that they have cancelled church services and sent out members of my stake on buses to go help with the cleanup. Here is a little vid that tells more about that sitch:


I love my church and I love the Gospel! The church is true, yo.

Stay tuned for many more posts! I got lots to catch up on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment